What is the Academic Advantage program?
The Amarillo Academic Advantage program is an opportunity for students who are interested in a healthcare career to get a head start. On Saturday, January 26, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., at Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts, Amarillo Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery is hosting its third annual Academic Advantage event to provide these students with valuable insight into how to succeed in the medical field. This event will feature speakers and experts from several professions and organizations — including medicine, educational counseling, non-profit organizations, and college admissions — all of whom can advise students on how to prepare for the future. These professionals are hand-selected because of their expertise in their fields; they are the best people to give students advice about college applications, extracurriculars, and requirements for succeeding in a healthcare profession.
This year’s speakers include
- Dr. William Graves – Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon at Amarillo Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Dr. Rouzbeh Kordestani – Plastic Surgeon at AOMS Plastics
- Dr. Keith Bjork – Orthopedic Surgeon
- Dr. Anthony Harwell – Orthodontist, Harwell & Cook Orthodontics
- Chanel Brogdon – Registered Nurse
Students will have the opportunity to apply for paid internships, pick up an essay prompt for a scholarship, and win one of our many exciting prizes — Beats headphones, an iPad, gift cards, AOMS and SnapChat blankets, and more! Plus, join us for a food truck lunch on us.
The Academic Advantage program targets students in middle school and high school who want a jump start into the medical field. If your child is between sixth and twelfth grade and has expressed an interest in a healthcare profession, we encourage you to RSVP to our event. Taking advantage of this opportunity will allow your child to get valuable information for their future. After the speakers’ presentations, they will even have a chance to walk around, visit tables, and learn more about succeeding in health care.
What will students learn from the program?
Those who attend the program can expect to learn
- The rewards of being a healthcare professional
- A day in the life of a medical/dental professional
- The training and education required to succeed
- The college admissions process
- How to make a college application stand out
- The best place to get started