Post-Operative Instructions: BiopsyBACK
After Your Surgery
A certain amount of bleeding is to be expected following surgery. Bleeding is controlled by applying pressure, by mild to moderate bite force, using a small rolled gauze for a 90-minute period. After that time, remove the gauze, and then you may eat or drink. If bleeding persists, place a moist tea bag in the area of bleeding and bite firmly for 1 hour straight. This will aid in clotting blood. Repeat if necessary. If bleeding persists, call our office. Herbal teas will not be effective for this purpose; please use an English-style tea in a teabag.
- Do not rinse or spit for 24 hours after surgery.
- Keep your fingers and tongue away from the socket or surgical area.
- Use ice packs on the surgical area (side of face) for the first 48 hours; apply ice 20 minutes on and 10 minutes off. (Note: Bags of frozen peas work well.)
- For mild discomfort, take Tylenol® or ibuprofen every 3–4 hours.
- For severe pain, use the medication prescribed to you.
- Drink plenty of fluids. (Do not use a straw—this creates suction in the mouth that could cause complications.)
- We suggest that you do not smoke for at least 5 days after surgery.
- Avoid strenuous activity and do not exercise for at least 3–4 days after surgery. After that, be careful: your regular caloric and fluid intake have been reduced, so you may get light-headed, dizzy, or weak.
- If the muscles of the jaw become stiff, the use of warm moist heat to the outside of your face over the spots that are stiff will relax these muscles.
- After the first post-operative day, use a warm salt water rinse following meals for the first week to flush out particles of food and debris that may lodge in the surgical area. (Mix ½ teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Mouthwash can be added for better taste.)
- Your diet should consist mainly of soft, easily swallowed foods and cool drinks. Avoid anything that might get stuck in your teeth, so no seeds, nuts, rice, popcorn, or similar foods.
We Are Here To Help
Please contact our office if you have any questions or issues with these instructions.