Pre-Operative General InstructionsBACK
Before Your Surgery
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for 8 hours prior to the appointment.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose-fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow and low-heeled shoes. Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery. At least one finger needs to be free of fingernail polish.
- Do not be alarmed if your vision is blurred for a time following anesthesia or if a black and blue bruise should appear at the site of an injection. The arm also may be bruised, swollen, and tender to touch due to the IV.
- For pediatric patients under the age of 12, the doctors will provide specific instructions concerning when to eat or drink prior to surgery.